Comparing my pre and post pregnancy body, things have changed. My chest is bigger, my waist is smaller, and my hips are wider. You know what that means, right? It’s time to donate the clothes that no longer fit right and get some that do! I won’t be buying everything at once because that would be huge expense. So, I’ve decided the first staple that I will add to my closet is a couple of pair of perfect fitting jeans. Yeah, I know, finding the perfect pair of jeans can be stressful and time consuming. However, over the years I’ve mastered the technique, and now I’m sharing my shopping tips for jeans with you.
Personally, I like to shop for jeans at department stores, like The Bay, because they carry a wide variety of brands like Levi’s, COH and NYDJ. This way I can try a whole bunch of brands in one place.
Shopping for jeans for women doesn’t have to be a headache. So first things first – Dress Comfortably. Make sure to wear clothes that are easy to slip in and out of since you’ll be trying on a handful of jeans. This means no layers.
You should also make sure you have enough time. We all know that rushing and shopping don’t mix. You need to set aside a couple hours so you can try on all of the jeans you picked out.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for the perfect pair of jeans:
- Color: Blue and Black jeans are a staple in every closet. Everyone needs at least ONE pair of dark denim jeans. Remember that the darker the colour, the easier it is to wear them from day to night. Black jeans also make your legs look longer and leaner.
- Pant Rise: Make sure to get a rise (the length from the waist to the center of the jeans between the legs) that works FOR YOU, not against you. Choosing the right rise can change your perceived dimensions, like elongating your short legs. Or, choosing the wrong type of rise will make you look disproportional. For example, if you’re really tall and wear low rise pants, you can look top heavy. Some brands carry jean and pant sizes in petite, regular and long inseams, which is also a consideration.
- Length: You want your jeans to be the perfect length, not too short and not too long. If I am looking for a pair of jeans that I want to “dress up” I make sure to try them on with a pair of heels. If I am looking for a casual pair of jeans, I make sure to wear my kicks.
- Butt: How does it look? Turn around and check yourself out. The perfect pair of jeans makes any booty look good! For example, NYDJ is the “original slimming fit” brand that incorporates an exclusive Lift Tuck Technology into all of their jeans. These slimming jeans flatten the front and lift the back.
- Size: Measure your waist at home and when you get to the store ask the sales associate to help you with finding jeans in that size. Remember that some fabrics shrink and others stretch, so make sure to ask your sales associate if your pair will do either of these.
- Cut: Choose a style that flatters your shape. For example, if you are busty, wide leg jeans will help balance out your bust so you don’t look too top heavy. If you are petite, high waisted trouser jeans, paired with a heel, will make you look taller.
Remember to take your time while shopping for jeans. Most importantly, don’t feel obligated and don’t settle. If you are not 100% satisfied with how they look or feel, don’t buy them.
I’d love to hear what some of your shopping tips for jeans are!